Differentiating Effectively with iPads

4:50 PM


Used properly, the iPad is a fabulous tool for helping all of our students succeed! Students can access material that might not otherwise be accessible to them, they can share their knowledge in so many creative ways and they can feel very successful about their products and accomplishments. 

I teach students with developmental disabilities. Many of my students have a lot of difficulties reading and writing which makes it difficult for them to be involved in a number of their classroom activities, especially as they get older. 

My students use iPads all throughout their school days and are constantly breaking down barriers between what they couldn't do in the past and what is now possible with the help of technology.

I have been using iPads for the past 3-4 years. Here are some of the important lessons I have learned.

You don't need an iPad for each student - your can do great things with just 1 iPad in the classroom. Think of the iPad as a portable SmartBoard. You can create interactive lessons so quickly and simply and take them anywhere. That means you can learn outside or in the library or on a field trip. 
With one iPad in the room you can teach the students to videotape the lesson so that they can go back and review what to do as many times as they need to. If a student asks for help the teacher can record their clarifications and examples on the iPad (I would suggest using Explain Everything or Book Creator but the built in camera would work too) and then leave the iPad with the student so they can take their time working through how to approach the task.

It is not about how many apps you have - it is about the quality of the apps. Filling the iPad with game type apps - even if they seem educational makes the iPad a toy. In my class the students are not allowed to use the iPads at free time. It is important to me that they understand that the iPad is a tool for learning and working. I have an essential 5 apps that are on all of my iPads and with those apps we can create a huge variety of products.


You don't need to know more than your students. I have set out to teach my students how to use a new app - step by step - only to find out that after a few minutes they have found features I wasn't even aware of. Let them explore apps and try different things - you'll be surprised what they will teach you. 

There are many more lessons I have learned and I will share them in future posts. Thanks for reading :) Jessi 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

technology

Flickr Images